Sunday, May 29, 2011

Cloud computing to the rescue

I've been playing with the thought of getting a fast, reliable computer for my experiments for a while, and a couple of weeks ago I found the perfect solution: Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud. You basically launch computer instances on a need by need basis and within a few seconds they are up and running with whatever OS and software you have configured on them.

It is relatively cost-effective compared to buying your own hardware and maintaining that. I only need computing power from time to time, but most often a lot of it, and this way I can launch as many cores as I need whenever I need! :)

Their Linux instances are the most powerful, so I've spent some time porting my GP code, as a few components were not as portable as I would have liked (was using Windows-based threads and timers). It's now all Boost based and today I got it all running so I can't wait to try some more experiments on fast CPUs.

No comments:

Post a Comment